Serika is a café restaurant located at the southernmost tip of the Murotsu Peninsula in the town of Kaminoseki, Yamaguchi prefecture.
While enjoying this Mediterranean-like view, you can enjoy Spanish cuisine made with an abundance of local Setouchi ingredients (Further details: “Serika, a Café Restaurant at the Southernmost Tip of Yamaguchi with Beautiful Views that offers Setouchi Seasonal Flavors & Spanish Cuisine! “).
This time we’d like to share an easy ajillo recipe that we learned from Mr. Masaya Iida, the chef of Serika!
For delicious ajillo that can be made in 5 minutes, you will need the following ingredients!
Ingredients (2 servings)
Japanese tiger prawns X 6
Garlic cloves X 3
Takanotsume chilli X a small quantity
Olive oil X 60 ml
Paprika powder X a small quantity
Sherry x 10ml
Lemon x 1
Parsley X a small quantity
Natural salt X a small quantity
1) Peel the shrimp’s (leave only the tails).
2) Sprinkle some salt on the shrimps and rub it in lightly. The salt will not melt in the oil, so be sure to rub it so that it soaks into every nook and cranny.
3) Next add some sherry and olive oil, and continue to rub the shrimps lightly.
4) Slice the garlic into 2mm thick slices, finely cut the takanotsume chilli (remove the seeds), and chop the parsley finely.
5) Pour some olive oil into a small frying pan, add the garlic and takanotsume chilli and fry on low heat. Be careful, if fried too much the garlic will burn – a potato-like texture is best.
6) After the olive oil starts bubbling, add the seasoned shrimps. They will change color right away, so use tongs to turn them over and fry both sides.
The last spurt takes less than a minute! The juicy texture of the shrimps depends on how nimbly you handle them!
7) Add the paprika powder and squeeze on some lemon juice. After sprinkling on the parsley, the dish is finished!
From peeling the shrimp to finishing, the dish takes only 5 minutes! I take a bite while it’s still hot… I hope you enjoy the juuuicy texture.
Ajillo goes perfectly with wine. It even tastes great when slightly cooled, so you can enjoy it slowly while sipping from your glass. A piece of baguette will taste delicious, too, if dipped in the oil.
If you get your hands on some fresh Japanese tiger prawn, do try out this recipe!
Oidemase! Come to Yamaguchi!
Café Restaurant Serika
Founded over 20 years ago, Serika is a restaurant that exudes the warm atmosphere of a wooden building. Here you can enjoy dishes made with seasonal seafood procured locally everyday. They also serve a wide variety of sweets and drinks! Enjoy a relaxed moment while admiring the view of the Seto Inland Sea.
Address: 619-3 Nagashima, Kaminoseki, Kumage district, Yamaguchi prefecture
Open: Weekdays 9.30-19.00 / Sat, Sun & National holidays 8.30-21.00
*Dinner available on weekdays by reservation only
The Setouchi Finder Editors
> Experience the ancient way of salt making on Kamikamagari-jima Island on the Tobishima Kaido in Aki-nada! / Kamagari Ancient Salt Making Remains Restoration Pavilion & “Amabito-no-Moshio” (Kure-shi, Hiroshima)
See more articles about "Gourmet"GourmetList
Kobe City Himeji City Amagasaki City Akashi City Nishinomiya City Sumoto City Ashiya City Itami City Aioi City Toyooka City Kakogawa City Ako City Nishiwaki City Takarazuka City Miki City Takasago City Kawanishi City Ono City Mita City Kasai City Sasayama City Yabu City Tanba City Minamiawaji City Asago City Awaji City Shiso City Kato City Tatsuno City Inagawa Taka Inami Harima Ichikawa Fukusaki Kamikawa Taishi Kamigori Sayo Kami Shinonsen
- Okayama Pref.
- Hiroshima Pref.
- Yamaguchi Pref.
- Tokushima Pref.
- Kagawa Pref.
- Ehime Pref.